Thursday, July 9, 2015

Post 3:Reichs cultural Myths




Rand paul does a good job of using persuasive rhetoric in his campaign speech for announcing his is running for president. He hits on the Triumphant Individual of Reich's Cultural Parables.


Rand paul uses The Triumphant Individual in his speech.  He places himself as the the little guy who believes in himself and works hard.  He sees himself to be the one that will return America to prosperity.  He puts himself in the comparable light of triumphant as he has slowly gained wealth through his labors.  He is uncompromising in his ideals as he states, “The truth is, I love my life as a small-town doctor. Every day I woke up, I felt lucky to be able to do the things I loved. More importantly, I was blessed to be able to do things that made a difference in people’s lives”.

Rand Paul's speech relies heavily on the process premises of Attitude.  His whole speech is framed for the little guy to stand up and take back America from special interest groups.  This succeeds because it targets the 18-40 year age group.



3 comments:

  1. Good article to choose and I think you made the right call comparing it to the Triumphant individual. The speech is a little off to me almost like he is trying to start a cult. I don't know anything about him or his political views his speech just seems a little off to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also thought it was a good selection but agree that his speech was a little off. I felt almost like I was in a church. I get that he was trying to, "rally the troops" but I wonder if a different approach might have been best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Defiantly a good example of the triumphant individual. Everyone loves a good rags to riches type of story and he tried to appeal to that. When you say the 18-40 age group it seems by our current media and marketing trends this is an effective tool to reach this group. Great job!

    ReplyDelete